[linux-elitists] (forw) Clarification about Tripwire copyright

'rick@linuxmafia.com' rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 28 00:02:11 PDT 2000

You know, I wouldn't have raised the matter if I didn't think they
needed to straighten out the record, and specifically the _public_
record.  These things of course take time in the traditional corporate
world, but I hope they decide to do so.

----- Forwarded message from Nithya Ruff <nruff@tripwire.com> -----

From: Nithya Ruff <nruff@tripwire.com>
To: "'rick@linuxmafia.com'" <rick@linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Clarification about Tripwire copyright
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 21:45:14 -0700

Dear Mr. Moen,

Please accept my apologies for the delay in getting this answer to you.  I
am hopeful that this will shed light on Tripwire's Copyright information.
If you should continue to have more questions, please do contact me.

In December 1997 Tripwire Security Systems, Inc. (now Tripwire, Inc.)
acquired the exclusive license for the Tripwire change/intrusion detection
system from Purdue Research Foundation, including the exclusive use of all
trademarks.  Under the terms of that agreement Tripwire, Inc. had the right
to purchase all the intellectual property rights to Tripwire (the software),
based on a royalty-based formula.

Effective May 1, 2000, Tripwire, Inc. exercised its right under that
agreement.  The purchase agreement states the following:

2.1	Purdue, in consideration of .......... (the "Purchase Price"),
hereby assigns, sells, transfers and conveys to the Company all right, title
and interest, on a worldwide basis, in and to the Software and all
Intellectual Property Rights related thereto (collectively, the "Property").

I hope this satisfactorily addresses your inquires.  Please also check out
our Tripwire.org site for continued progress reports on our move to initial
code offering.

Best Regards,

Nithya Amitha Ruff
Director, Product and Strategic Mktg.
Tripwire Inc.
1631 NW Thurman St,
Portland,  Oregon 97209
503-276-7566
nruff@tripwire.com

www.tripwire.com
www.tripwire.org

[Microsoft-style quoting below new text, snipped]