[linux-elitists] procmail --> python?

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Tue Sep 26 08:17:53 PDT 2000

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 11:10:42PM -0700, Deirdre Saoirse wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Seth David Schoen wrote:
>
> > Is there a scriptable and extensible procmail replacement that works
> > well and lets you write extensions in Python?
>
> You mean you haven't written one yet?
>
> Actually, I find that I have enough rudimentary procmail-fu to do all I
> really need to do. Just don't forget to include .twitrc, OK?

I can't help but wonder if Seth's query is inspired by my search last
night for a perl procmail replacement.

Procmail works very well for me, but what I am concerned about is that
to do advanced things (real life example: case changing), I have to
invoke a shell and invoke a pipeline of processes. This happens every
time a mail message comes in. I'm starting to think that matching
against mails with perl's regexps and then using perl for case
changing, header rewriting, etc etc. Normally I hate perl but it seems
well-suited for a job like this. FWIW, I found a Mail::Procmail module
on CPAN, which desite it's name just has similar functionality to
procmail.