[linux-elitists] Re: the story of ping

eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Sep 20 11:56:03 PDT 2000

From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)

John Klassa writes:
> The Story of the Ping Program:
>
> 	http://ftp.arl.mil/%7emike/ping.html
>
> My favorite part:
>   > The best ping story I've ever heard was told to me at a USENIX
>   > conference, where a network administrator with an intermittent Ethernet
>   > had linked the ping program to his vocoder program, in essence writing:
>   >
>   >        ping goodhost | sed -e 's/.*/ping/' | vocoder
>   >
>   > He wired the vocoder's output into his office stereo and turned up the
>   > volume as loud as he could stand. The computer sat there shouting "Ping,
>   > ping, ping..." once a second, and he wandered through the building
>   > wiggling Ethernet connectors until the sound stopped. And that's how he
>   > found the intermittent failure.

Funny, I did this last month.  It was a single Ethernet connector that
was flaky, but we didn't know that for a long time.  I had in mind
exactly the story above when I did this, although the version I heard
used an intercom system for sound output and specifically asserted that
the netadmin's machine was a NeXT.

Here's the program I piped ping to:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
my $buf;
while (sysread STDIN, $buf, 4096)
{
        print $buf;
        system("sox /usr/lib/games/xboing/sounds/ping.au -t ossdsp /dev/dsp");
}

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves
possess.
                -- Gandalf the Grey [J.R.R. Tolkien, "Lord of the Rings"]