[linux-elitists] Your name could be CENSORED

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Tue Sep 19 11:00:00 PDT 2000

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 09:33:02AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> > begin  Eugene Leitl quotation:
> >
> > > I don't think the school has a copyright on that....
> >
> > That reminds me, Aaron:  You may want to include a copyright notice on
> > anything you write that you consider significant.  "Copyright (C) 2000
> > Aaron Lehmann" suffices.
> >
> > They would have no right to complain, on that one.
>
> OK, and what will he accomplish? By putting simple "Copyright" mambo-jumbo
> he is not going to really protect his work, since most of the people
> out there just doesn't care about that. They will use it if they need
> it, no matter if there is a notice or not.
>
> Just my 1.60 kr_nas (2 cents :).

Nature of copyright is, put your notice on, later you can properly file
copyright paperwork.  Only if copyright paperwork and a blatant infringement
exist, you can sue for licensing fees.

But, (c) has no power as a copyright word.  It merely represents the
circle-around-a-C which is the correct legal symbol... so make sure to use
the full word "copyright" in your statement.

Um, anyways, if he copyrights his schoolwork, then he can claim rights to
allow or withhold permission from it being pubbed in, say, a school scrapbook
of poetry and literaturem, etc.

btw, actors in early TV had to sue to get back the rights to use their names
for commercial purposes.

* Heather * Might as well be frank, monsieur.  It would take a miracle to get
            you out of Casablanca and the Germans have outlawed miracles.
		-- Casablanca