[linux-elitists] Your name could be CENSORED

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Tue Sep 19 02:41:09 PDT 2000

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Aaron Lehmann wrote:

> My teacher requested that I change the "Lehmann" in the document to an
> "l.". He said it was a rule. After he refused to understand that this
> rule was stupid when I told him that my name is mentioned on literally
> hundreds of HTML files around the web, I grudgingly removed the
> "ehmann" and put a note at the bottom stating that my name had been
> censored but could still be obtained by looking up my Contact handle
> with network solutions, and provided a link for doing so.

Was this rule documented anywhere prior to the assignment?

Honestly, I've found educational institutions to be full of anal-retentive
power-grubbing assholes. Oh, did I mention greed?

> The teacher still wasn't happy. I finally put my full name in an HTML
> comment. That shut him up :).
>
> This is definately an angle of censorship I have never experienced
> before: forced anotimity. Any thoughts?

Well, how is aaronl any more "anonymous"?

"More damage has been caused by innocent program crashes than by
malicious viruses, but they don't make great stories."
                   --  Jean-Louis Gassee, Be Newsletter, Issue 69