[linux-elitists] Your name could be CENSORED

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Mon Sep 18 23:03:00 PDT 2000

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 04:21:59PM -0700, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> Yeah.
>
> I'd still like to ask some lawyers, because I bet there are public
> schools with a similar policy.  And there it might be possible to
> do something about it.

You think THAT is bad? Man, let me quote the student handbook:

> CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES (OTHER THAN ALCOHOL OR TOBACCO)
> The school aspires to be a drug-free community. The purchace,
> possession distribution, or use of controled drugs or drug
> paraphernalia or any other chemical substance on campus results in
> dismissal.

Since they don't bother to define drugs, even caffeine could apply to
that.

> MAJOR RULE                                1ST OFFENSE          2ND OFFENSE
> Selling or distribution of drugs          Dismissal
> Use or possession of drugs/paraphernalia  Dismissal
> Use or possession of drugs off campus     Required counseling  suspension
>                                                                to dismissal
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What the fuck?

I was speechless when I read this. The school that I attend has
NOTHING whatsoever to do with what I do on my own time, with my own
resources. Any contradiction of this would be a major violation of
privacy and would be completely inappropriate.

I won't even begin to talk about the "Technology code"... They start
out by giving an incorrect definition of hacking and then decree a
penalty of expulsion on anyone who circumvents any security system. It
reminds me vaguely of the DMCA. They go on to say that you can't copy
licensed software (what if the software is licensed under the GPL,
such as the compilers that we (well at least I) use in the computer
science courses?). It goes on and on.

The pathetic thing is that the administrators are almost clueful
people, but they are running NT on most things. So that destroys about
all credibility that they might have.

Aaron "L."