[linux-elitists] Your name could be CENSORED

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Mon Sep 18 16:16:51 PDT 2000

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 04:07:24PM -0700, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> Aaron Lehmann writes:
>
> A lot of schools do that, but this restriction (against mentioning
> your name or contact information or that of another student) is one
> of the _least_ of the irritating restrictions schools try to put
> on students' Internet use.

Agreed. The school runs Cyber Patrol I think, but it doesn't affect me since
I only use lynx under ssh (or telnet .. they have some idiotic
security software that wont let me run an ssh client and I can get
expelled for working around it AARGH). All I really know about it is
last year I turned off the web proxy and it wouldn't allow me to go to
http://www.2600.com. With their official web proxy on (the way all
computers I haven't messed with are configured), there was no
filtering. Now they seem to have fixed that. Oh well. That's what ssh
is for.

> Public school?

Private school. In other words, no rights for the students. Their
official reason for implementing a stupid dress code is "becuase we
can".

> I can try to ask some lawyers if minors have a legal right to identify
> themselves to the public (using public resources).  It's a good issue.
> In some places, you have to sue for the right to speak anonymously on
> the Internet; in other places, you have to sue for the right to speak
> non-anonymously!

The post was meant to discuss more of a social issue than a legal
issue. If the private school wants to tell me what I can put up on
their web space, they have the complete right to do that. If this kind
of idiocy started catching on in public schools there would definately
be legal issues involved.