[linux-elitists] Your name could be CENSORED

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Mon Sep 18 16:07:24 PDT 2000

Aaron Lehmann writes:

> My teacher requested that I change the "Lehmann" in the document to an
> "l.". He said it was a rule. After he refused to understand that this
> rule was stupid when I told him that my name is mentioned on literally
> hundreds of HTML files around the web, I grudgingly removed the
> "ehmann" and put a note at the bottom stating that my name had been
> censored but could still be obtained by looking up my Contact handle
> with network solutions, and provided a link for doing so.
>
> The teacher still wasn't happy. I finally put my full name in an HTML
> comment. That shut him up :).

A lot of schools do that, but this restriction (against mentioning
your name or contact information or that of another student) is one
of the _least_ of the irritating restrictions schools try to put
on students' Internet use.

Public school?

I can try to ask some lawyers if minors have a legal right to identify
themselves to the public (using public resources).  It's a good issue.
In some places, you have to sue for the right to speak anonymously on
the Internet; in other places, you have to sue for the right to speak
non-anonymously!

At a talk by David Friedman, I suggested that if tort lawyers ever
want to sue for a breach of trust resulting in the disclosure of
someone's true name, they should try to create the "tort of famation".
I still think it is a good joke, but nobody seems to get it.