[linux-elitists] Re: Mosaic features lost

Adam Sampson azz@gnu.org
Mon Sep 18 13:11:51 PDT 2000

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 11:34:07PM -0700, Heather wrote:
> azz@gnu.org wrote:
> > All together now: "Give links a try". Lynx keybindings, better layout than
> > w3m, proper frames support, background downloading etc. etc. etc.
>
> Yeah, but I haven't seen it with SSL yet, so my day to day browser is still
> lynx-ssl.

The other useful thing it doesn't support is HTTP Basic Authentication
(which makes, for instance, posting software announcements on freshmeat
impossible). It doesn't look like it would be too hard to add SSL support to
the links code, though; the connection code (in socket.c) is a fairly clever
state machine.

Of course, the other reason to keep lynx around is that it's quite often
rather useful to have a browser that doesn't support frames. (Reading
LinuxToday, for instance...)

--

Adam Sampson
azz@gnu.org