[linux-elitists] freezing system state

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Thu Sep 14 12:55:56 PDT 2000

> Heather writes:
>
>  > But then, I dunno the purpose you had in mind...
>
> Two uses: one for my private box (I have a billion of windows, each
> with a state which I would like to be able to suspend and restore
> quickly), the second one for doing (a history of) periodical snapshots
> of a running simulation at OS level (otherwise I would have to do it
> by hand).

Ah.  Well, the second, it seems like VMware or freemware would be a more
complete correct answer, using a "dedicated disk image".  Oops, more
proprietary file formats (sorta, likely a bunch of it is okay after you
get past some header goop).  Unles, that is, you need to be testing it
against *your* hardware instead of the imaginary well-supported system
VMware provides.

* Heather * I suggest a new strategy, Artoo: let the Wookie win.  -- C3P0