[linux-elitists] freezing system state

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Thu Sep 14 09:21:36 PDT 2000

> Can anyone point me towards information how I can snapshot the entire
> system state to hard drive, and have an option to restore it at boot
> time?
>
> If Linux can't do that yet, are there plans for putting support for
> suspend state into it?

1) nearly any laptop could do this, but the result of its suspend-to-disk
   ends up in a weird (phoenix proprietary) filesystem format.  Sigh.

2) many modern desktops have the APM features in their BIOS, but it is
   usually off.

3) There are swsusp patches for the kernel, maintained not in the usual
   tree but elsewhere.  'swsusp' is the keyword to search on tho.  The
   idea was to bring suspension abilities to really antique laptops
   which have no APM.  Some people have reported fairly fast suspend
   with it too.

With most of this stuff, the option you'd want is some way NOT to use it,
or not to clear it.  I'm not sure but swsusp might use swap, and then it'd
get wiped within a half hour of your resume.

But then, I dunno the purpose you had in mind...

* Heather * Nearly every complex solution to a programming problem that I
            have looked at carefully has turned out to be wrong.
		-- Brent Welch