[linux-elitists] Re: Mosaic features lost

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Wed Sep 13 16:15:54 PDT 2000

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 12:05:44PM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> I tend to use w3m -- it's a bit more useful with complex page layout
> than lynx.  I also have problems with lynx's default color schemes under
> X -- does someone have a color scheme which is actually readable?

I had the same problem and ended up designing my own color scheme.
Save the file at http://vitelus.com/aaronl/pub/conf/lynx.cfg as
~/.lynx.cfg. Then set the LYNX_CFG environment variable to
~/.lynx.cfg. If you want to edit the file at all,
http://vitelus.com/aaronl/pub/conf/lynx.cfg.commented provides the
same file with hundreds of kilobytes of comments intact.

> What of the various Gecko-based projects?  Gzilla (since renamed),
> Galleon, etc.  Hmmm....

SkipStone looks nice, but I have yet to get it to work.
http://www.muhri.net/skipstone/. Unlike the Galeon project, it aims to
stay away from Gnome, a goal which I understand and support. Mozilla
is bloated enough without the Gnome libraries :/.

I have been using mozilla as my primary browser on and off for the
past few months. I have been seeing some major improvements in
usability over the past month. If they got it significantly more
stable, it might actually make a good browser. However, I hope to use
GTK-based browsers that will adhere to my GTK theme and not require
the disk-space and memory requirements of yet-another-lame-widget-set.