[linux-elitists] Re: Mosaic features lost

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Wed Sep 13 11:20:28 PDT 2000

> begin  Heather quotation:
>
> > 1) you can still use Mosaic and see - it's a debian package.  While strictly
> >    speaking it was open source, UC Kansas stopped hosting it ages ago, so its
> >    source is pretty hard to find, unless that's in the debian tree too.
>
> Source tarball is available at
> http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/web/mosaic.html
> ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Mosaic/Unix/source/
>
> However:
>
>  * The UI grants you (hereafter, Licensee) a license to use the Software
>  * for academic, research and internal business purposes only, without a
>  * fee.  Licensee may distribute the binary and source code (if
>  * released) to third parties provided that the copyright notice and
>  * this statement appears on all copies and that no charge is associated
>  * with such copies.
>  *
>  * Licensee may make derivative works.  However, if Licensee distributes
>  * any derivative work based on or derived from the Software, then
>  * Licensee will (1) notify NCSA regarding its distribution of the
>  * derivative work, and (2) clearly notify users that such derivative
>  * work is a modified version and not the original NCSA Mosaic
>  * distributed by the UI.
>  *
>  * Any Licensee wishing to make commercial use of the Software should
>  * contact the UI, c/o NCSA, to negotiate an appropriate license for
>  * such commercial use.  Commercial use includes (1) integration of all
>  * or part of the source code into a product for sale or license by or
>  * on behalf of Licensee to third parties, or (2) distribution of the
>  * binary code or source code to third parties that need it to utilize a
>  * commercial product sold or licensed by or on behalf of Licensee.
>

> _Not_ open-source code (http://www.opensource.org/osd.html).  Never was,
> and almost certainly never will be.

I sit corrected.  More open than the average in the days when the norm
was to give away binaries and charge for code, but not "just give to anybody"
type free.

So as a dif't question, is this GPL incompatible?  The GPL "genetic code"
is thou-must-publish-and-not-block-others-from-publishing.  This "genetic
code" appears to be "thou must tell NCSA, and not let others blame them
for your mods".  I think it might not be;  distributing source just needs
the note, and the GPL's enforcement is all about ensuring access to source.

So what happens if the NCSA they are talking about ever disbands?  Isn't
Netscape a derived work from Mosaic?

* Heather * ... that no one of us should be crippled by the fact that all
            of us together, know more than any one of us can know.
            -- Shockwave Rider