[linux-elitists] Open letter to SDMI director: Boycott of hacksdmi.org

Greg KH greg@wirex.com
Wed Sep 13 12:02:51 PDT 2000

Oh, the topic of offering up challenges to crack systems, or
cryptographic functions has been proven again and again to not be an
effective way of proving that a system, or cryptographic function is
secure in any manner.

I can dig up a bunch of links that talk about this if anyone is
interested (had to do it to try to convince some people about the
disadvantages of offering such a contest in the past.)

And besides, for personal computers you don't have a trusted client
machine, so any software protection scheme for music will _always_ be
able to be broken.

(I just made that statement to a higher up at my present company, in
regards to software protection schemes, and they weren't too happy to
hear it either.)

greg k-h

--
greg@(kroah|wirex).com