[linux-elitists] Open letter to SDMI director: Boycott of hacksdmi.org

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Sep 13 11:26:39 PDT 2000

Dear Mr. Chiariglione,

I am planning to boycott the challenge on the hacksdmi.org web site,
and I will encourage all Linux users, hackers, and reverse engineering
practicioners to do likewise.

The site says,

"We are now in the process of testing the technologies that will allow
these protections. The proposed technologies must pass several stringent
tests: they must be inaudible, robust, and run efficiently on various
platforms, including PCs. They should also be tested by you.

"So here's the invitation: Attack the proposed technologies. Crack them."

Thanks, SDMI, but no thanks. I won't do your dirty work for you.

I will never make or distribute a bootleg copy of a recording. But fair
use is fair use.

I insist on my right to use copyrighted material I buy in accordance
with the traditional rights of a music customer. I will play one copy at
a time on the device of my choosing, and I will make a personal copy if
necessary.

I will not participate in your organization's plan to seize total
control over recorded music away from the customer. I will not help test
programs or devices that violate privacy or interfere with the right of
fair use.

So, if you're going to say "Hackers couldn't break our system even
thought we offered a $10,000 prize," you'll be wrong. Hackers should
not, and will not, offer free consulting services to an organization
that is using technical means to destroy the customary balance of the
interests of copyright holders and music listeners.

--
Don Marti                                This email brought to you
dmarti@zgp.org                           by the number 67 and the