Netscape X resources (was Re: [linux-elitists] O'Reilly and Winer:both sons of bitches)

Eugene Leitl eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Sep 13 00:53:03 PDT 2000

Heather writes:

 > Does anyone know of any good sources for free-to-distribute Type42 fonts?
 > (these are TTFs with a Type1 wrapper.  Apps that are not clued, will just
 > think they are type1.)

Any document relying on external context is broken, the more external
context it requires. Because the document and the context are
detachable, and the context is typically much less mobile than the
document, somebody in near future at some point wanting to access a
document will look at a pile of junk bits instead.

It is strange that in three decades of computing we have not been able
to define a decent document standard, and lately people are not even
trying. Maybe there is a reason these librarians in charge of piles of
dead trees are snickering.