Netscape X resources (was Re: [linux-elitists] O'Reilly and Winer: both sons of bitches)

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Tue Sep 12 17:46:06 PDT 2000

> > There is also a setting under fonts that lets you force your own
> > fonts; I don't know if this locks the size as well as the family and
> > weight.
>
> Nope -- not size.  Just family.  Really fucking pisses me off.
> Especially when my own fsckin company fscks with fonts on its own
> fscking webpages.  O'Reilly's doing it too, though.  Scoop allows you to
> fuck when you want, or abstain.  Hmmm.  Maybe Scoop needs a
> WebCondom....

I'd like to remind the true elitists among us that just because these
people think they're gonna make us see (for example) Geneva, doesn't
mean that our system has to give them a font that looks anything like it.

Now if you're using the URW Type 1 fonts (Debian users: gsfonts + gs-x11,
forgive me if I misremember the second package name ... others: it's on
the GIMP website somewhere) then you have a set of fonts which have
similar metrics to what Those Guys In Redmond's Evil Clutches think that
they're inflicting on you.  Nobody said that just because TGIREC use TTFs
that you have to.

Does anyone know of any good sources for free-to-distribute Type42 fonts?
(these are TTFs with a Type1 wrapper.  Apps that are not clued, will just
think they are type1.)

* Heather * "Text processing has made it possible to right-justify any idea,
             even one which cannot be justified on any other grounds."
		-- J. Finnegan, USC.