Netscape X resources (was Re: [linux-elitists] O'Reilly and Winer: both sons of bitches)

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Tue Sep 12 17:30:51 PDT 2000

>     kmself> Note that there doesn't appear to be any difference in
>     kmself> sizeIncrement settings from about 5 to 0 -- the
>     kmself> granularity is fairly coarse.
>
>     kmself> Anyone know equivalent configurations for Mozilla?
>
> I find that Mozilla gives excellent on-screen results using TrueType
> fonts (unfortunately, if you use TrueType fonts, you are technically
> running non-free software)

Actually, not necessarily - I actually *read* the licenses on my fonts.
(Yeah, I know, I'm weird cuz I read.)

It does depend what kind of butter you like on your toast, tho - since
I know of a handful of fonts which are Free! Give them to Everyone!  ...
but they aren't "source available" like postscript or TeX/metafonts are.

And by the way, the documentation for the True Type specification is not
only as heavy as my graphic workstation, it's a great antidote for a
NoDoze overdose.

SO with the exception of lacking "source" for TTFs, if anyone wants the
rather weird set of about 30 fonts I've found so far that seem free, lemme
know.

> and a dpi setting of 96.  The odd page
> still comes up uncomfortably small, so I just use the View / Text Size
> menu as needed, which isn't very often.
>
> There is also a setting under fonts that lets you force your own
> fonts; I don't know if this locks the size as well as the family and
> weight.

Actually, I'd prefer it if it locked the family but not the size and
weight, so I could still see some variety in my web pages.

What I do not generally see is the ability to declare the use of a
different font for Bold and Em/Italics purposes.

OB ELITIST: It's been years now with the Mozilla project, the licensing
world has improved, but Netscape/mozilla still have not added back in
the font control features I liked best in Mosaic.  It really ticks me
off!  And don't tell me to whine on their wishlist - I did that in great
verbosity and basically, everyone things I'm talking about CSS.  Dorks.

* Heather * Competitive fury is not always anger.  It is the true
            missionary's courage and zeal in facing the possibility
            that one's best may not be enough.  -- Gene Scott