[linux-elitists] advocacy ad hoc

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Mon Sep 11 17:55:23 PDT 2000

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Heather wrote:

> And to take things to a greater sense of reality, if something was
> designed for the use of one person or a family or dorm, with a total
> project horizon of your described 6 weeks, then even this "good
> planning percentage" won't be worth much when the code is expanded and
> re-purposed.

Depends -- part of the design time can (and should) be a prototype.

> The open source world fakes this by getting together at conventions,
> for beers and dinner runs, and on IRC.  So it can be awful hard to
> tell when we're goofing off, when we're designing, and then, there's
> designing cool toys to goof off with.

True. Like I'm doing now. :)

> > Ask me sometime about well-designed and documented vaporware.
>
> Heh, they got the 1/N ratio wrong in the other direction, it's not
> supposed to be 99% doco, right?

Well, people got so tired of the project it never got done. You also have
to balance the boredom tendency of engineers. :)

"More damage has been caused by innocent program crashes than by
malicious viruses, but they don't make great stories."
                   --  Jean-Louis Gassee, Be Newsletter, Issue 69