[linux-elitists] Forbidden knowledge! The secret number is 67!

Ben ben@valinux.com
Thu Sep 7 10:14:44 PDT 2000

> On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 04:36:17PM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> > begin  Rusty Foster quotation of Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 04:07:06PM -0700:
> >
> > > PS: about #2, there is no intellectual property involved in this
> > > dispute, so I find it doubtful that the attempts at suppression will be
> > > successful.
> >
> > The lawyer who wrote the threatening letter used that same term,
> > "intellectual property." Sounds like he's desparately looking through
> > the law books for a "hey, you kids, stop that" law he can cite.
> >

> The thing that scared the crap out of me was that _most_ of
> the postings on Slashdot (at least when I read) displayed a
> basically correct understanding of the IP issues involved
> (i.e. that CueCat doesn't have a leg to stand on unless
> they secretly have a patent pending).
>
> I guess they're learning.  On the other hand, it's
> terrifying that our society insists that a whole generation
> of teenage prototechies become experts (or something :-)
> in an obscure and odious branch of law.

Just think how much the various owners of IP have spent to educate us
on the ins and outs of IP Law.

I think of it this way. We are essentially hacking the system which in
this case is the goverment and all the businesses making money off of
IP. To be able to successfully play the game we have to know the rules.

I really think that slashdot, linux journal, or something like that
should cough up some dough and have a good IP lawyer answer people's
questions. If it were done in Linux Journal then it should be done
sort of like a group of articles. The first one written introducing
the lawyer and then each month the lawyer takes suggestions on what he
should write about and then writes an article about it.

If it were slashdot then they should do it the same way that they do
other interviews. Everyone posts their questions and the ones that get
moderated the highest get answered. However, I think that there is
enough material to last several rounds of interviews.