[linux-elitists] Forbidden knowledge! The secret number is 67!

Mike Touloumtzis miket@bluemug.com
Wed Sep 6 18:57:36 PDT 2000

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 04:36:17PM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> begin  Rusty Foster quotation of Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 04:07:06PM -0700:
>
> > PS: about #2, there is no intellectual property involved in this
> > dispute, so I find it doubtful that the attempts at suppression will be
> > successful.
>
> The lawyer who wrote the threatening letter used that same term,
> "intellectual property." Sounds like he's desparately looking through
> the law books for a "hey, you kids, stop that" law he can cite.

The thing that scared the crap out of me was that _most_ of
the postings on Slashdot (at least when I read) displayed a
basically correct understanding of the IP issues involved
(i.e. that CueCat doesn't have a leg to stand on unless
they secretly have a patent pending).

I guess they're learning.  On the other hand, it's
terrifying that our society insists that a whole generation
of teenage prototechies become experts (or something :-)
in an obscure and odious branch of law.

miket