[linux-elitists] Forbidden knowledge! The secret number is 67!

Rusty Foster rusty@kuro5hin.org
Wed Sep 6 16:07:06 PDT 2000

The condensed version of the following:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/uscan/

Brought to you by the Kuro5hin open source cabal. :-)

--R

PS: about #2, there is no intellectual property involved in this
dispute, so I find it doubtful that the attempts at suppression will be
successful.

Don Marti wrote:

> Anyone else playing with the now-ubiquitous CueCat? (nice nightlight for
> your computer, among other things.) Here's a description of how to deal
> with its code, and I have two questions. 1. Is this text right, and 2.
> Can "they" suppress it?
>
> The string received from the cat contains three fields: the cat's serial
> number, the type of code, and the code, separated by '.' characters.
> Within each field, 0-25 are represented by a-z, 26-51 by A-Z, 52-61 by
> 0-9, and 62 and 63 by + and -.
>
> To interpret each field, first convert it to a list of bytes. For
> example, if you get an 'a' from the cat, convert it to a 0. Make sure
> that the number of characters in the field is a multiple of four by
> padding with zeros.
>
> Go through the list in four-byte groups. Use the low-order 6 bits of
> each byte to form a 24-bit number, which we'll call n.
>
> Append the following three characters to the result: first, the
> high-order 8 bits of n XOR 67; second, the middle 8 bits of n XOR 67;
> and then the low-order 8 bits of n XOR 67.
>
> Continue doing this as long as four-byte groups remain. Then chop as
> many characters off the end as you had to add zeros.
>
> The CueCat doesn't just read crap out of Rat Shack catalogs.  It will
> also read UPC and ISBN bar codes.  Catalog your book collection!  Search
> for boycotts on foods as you shop!  Print your own bar codes and
> inventory your laboratory specimens!  Get your CueCat today -- go to
> Rat Shack, they're free ($0).  I expect all you people to have one,
> or several.
>
> --
> Don Marti                                This email brought to you
> dmarti@zgp.org                           by the number 67 and the
> http://zgp.org/~dmarti/                  operator XOR.
> whois DM683     Software patent reform now: http://burnallgifs.org/

    Rusty Foster            "Right now the main Perl competitor is
  rusty@kuro5hin.org         JavaScript, although there is also
  rusty@opensales.org        noticeable competition from PHP as well"
http://www.kuro5hin.org      --Dr Nikolai Bezroukov, Softpanorama.org