[linux-elitists] (from Pigdog) Feuerstein on Oracle

Adam Sampson ats1@ukc.ac.uk
Fri Oct 27 14:27:59 PDT 2000

On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 09:22:43PM +0100, Paul J Collins wrote:
>     AS> | However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not
>     AS> | include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
>     AS> | form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
>     AS> | operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component
>     AS> | itself accompanies the executable.
>
> The problem is this: which libraries on Windows are ``system
> libaries''?
>
> One example: a default install of Nt 4 Workstation included IE version
> 2.  Installing Service Pack 4 or above recommends installation of IE
> 4.01SP2 or above, which installs a whole bunch of things, including a
> HTML parser and a rendering engine.

In which case, the authors of the packages would probably regard IE as a
"major component" of the operating system---Microsoft certainly do. Note
that there's no requirement in the GPL that the component actually be
distributed with the OS---I assume this is meant to cover building GNU
software with proprietory compilers which you have to buy seperately.

--

Adam Sampson
azz@gnu.org