[linux-elitists] (from Pigdog) Feuerstein on Oracle

Paul J Collins sneakums@sto-kerrig.org
Thu Oct 26 13:22:43 PDT 2000

    AS> On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 02:25:02PM -0700, Heather wrote:
    >> I have been starting to see apps on winfiles.com mention that they are
    >> under GPL.  Now some of them are folks who really program in both worlds,
    >> but I think that someone who claims they are "GPL'ing" their VB app is
    >> stepping in waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay deeper doo-doo than QT and te K gang
    >> were.

    AS> I think they can get away with this under the system libraries exception:

    AS> | However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not
    AS> | include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
    AS> | form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
    AS> | operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component
    AS> | itself accompanies the executable.

    AS> Even if they haven't explicitly allowed linking to Windows
    AS> libraries, which some authors are now doing.

The problem is this: which libraries on Windows are ``system
libaries''?

One example: a default install of Nt 4 Workstation included IE version
2.  Installing Service Pack 4 or above recommends installation of IE
4.01SP2 or above, which installs a whole bunch of things, including a
HTML parser and a rendering engine.

Are the parser and rendering engine DLLs system libraries?  If you
accept that IE is ``part of Windows'', I guess so.  Otherwise no.

    AS> --

    AS> Adam Sampson
    AS> azz@gnu.org

Paul Collins <sneakums@sto-kerrig.org> - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD
"GNU *has* got an operating system.  It's called Emacs."