[linux-elitists] (from Pigdog) Feuerstein on Oracle

Adam Sampson ats1@ukc.ac.uk
Thu Oct 26 03:32:37 PDT 2000

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 02:25:02PM -0700, Heather wrote:
> I have been starting to see apps on winfiles.com mention that they are
> under GPL.  Now some of them are folks who really program in both worlds,
> but I think that someone who claims they are "GPL'ing" their VB app is
> stepping in waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay deeper doo-doo than QT and te K gang
> were.

I think they can get away with this under the system libraries exception:

| However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not
| include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
| form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
| operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component
| itself accompanies the executable.

Even if they haven't explicitly allowed linking to Windows libraries, which
some authors are now doing.

--

Adam Sampson
azz@gnu.org