[linux-elitists] (from Pigdog) Feuerstein on Oracle

Heather star@starshine.org
Tue Oct 24 12:40:00 PDT 2000

>     Bad> Yeah, I think you're just being an obstinate knucklehead.
>
>     PJC> You should have more confidence in your opinions.
>
> Mr. Bad is hit by a Non-sequitur of Confusion +4.
>
> ~Mr. Bad

Speaking as one well versed in non sequiturs (Actually, mine are usually
sequiturs, with a "jupiter effect" resulting from timeslicing 3 or 4
conversations, but anyways...)

"I think you're just being an obstinate blockhead"
versus
"your database is an obstinate blockhead"

And now, you know why there are more than one type of database in the
world.  Because even the (allegedly) clued folks can't even agree what
features they want served up in one.

So to tilt the thing back towards an application instead of a sick and
twisted schema level, I'm usually more interested in how easy it is to
start hooking up interfaces.  If the queries themselves are really quite
warped, but can be encapsulated into units which a front end can deal
with easily, then that works for me.

Of course, this may mean that I cross the lines between all these distinctions
you fight over.  I hate terminology wars, they make my head hurt, when there
are better bits of trivia worth cluttering up my mental space.

* Heather * C makes it easy for you to shoot yourself in the foot.  C++ makes
            that harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg.
		-- Bjarne Stroustrup