[linux-elitists] (from Pigdog) Feuerstein on Oracle

Paul J Collins sneakums@sto-kerrig.org
Tue Oct 24 11:04:40 PDT 2000

    PJC> [...] Then it is not 1NF, since the fact of a location's name
    PJC> is duplicated all over the place.

    Bad> Silly, silly boy. [blah blah]

I was simply demonstrating what 1NF is.  Admittedly with a crap
example that no sane person would parrot IRL and that is meaningless
without my tortuous ``the fact of a location's name'' phrase, but
there you go.

    Bad> Now, if the table was like THIS:

    Bad>         Person          Country         Population
    Bad>         -----------------------------------------------------
    Bad>         Bad             USA             250 Million
    Bad>         PJC             Ireland         20 Million

Three point five.

    Bad>         Nick            USA             250 Million

    Bad> Then OF COURSE it would be better to separate the country out
    Bad> to a separate table, which contains the country's name and
    Bad> population. And then you can use the name of the country as a
    Bad> key.  But your example sucked. Artificial numerical keys
    Bad> generally suck. You mistake "key" for "pointer," grasshopper,
    Bad> and you show yourself an RDBMS novice.

You OODBMS people mistake "pointer" for "key" and etc. etc.

    Bad> I have no respect whatsoever for your knowledge of database
    Bad> theory. [...]

I don't either.

-snip example-

    PJC> I don't believe that OODBMSes are a valid way to store and
    PJC> manipulate data.  Not that I can back this opinion up, of
    PJC> course.

    Bad> Yeah, I think you're just being an obstinate knucklehead.

You should have more confidence in your opinions.

--
Paul Collins - - - - http://www.sto-kerrig.org/ - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD