[linux-elitists] ah, the clueless seek clues at last

Mon Oct 23 13:45:53 PDT 2000

on Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 12:05:05PM -0700, Heather (star@starshine.org) wrote:
> This was in my infoworld scoop on the 19th, which of course, I didn't
> get to read til I got back from my weekend trip.
>
> Read, enjoy, speak up, etc.  viva la clue-by-four.
>
> - -- -- -- - clipping - -- -- -- -
> APPEALS COURT SEEKS TECHNOLOGY HELP IN MICROSOFT CASE
>
> Posted at October 19, 2000 11:57 AM Pacific
>
> WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The U.S. Court of Appeals judges
> who will consider Microsoft's appeal of the order to
> break up the company are looking at holding a special,
> if not unusual, hearing designed to give the panel a
> basic education on computers before it tackles the
> technical issues raised by the landmark antitrust case.
>
> The appeals court Wednesday issued an order notifying
> Microsoft and the U.S. Department of Justice that it
> wants to bring in Michael Hites, chief technology
> officer at the Illinois Institute of Technology, in
> Chicago, to conduct "a review session on the
> fundamentals of automation." The judges proposed a
> Nov. 14 date for the hearing and gave the two sides in
> the case until next Wednesday to respond to the idea.
>

> For the full story:
> http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/00/10/19/001019hnmsdojhear.xml?1020frap

Interesting, as this appears to indicate that factual, and not merely
procedural, factors are being considered by the AC.  This is not
standard to my understanding.   Don't appeals usually rest on the
procedure followed by a lower court rather than the facts of the case,
unless direct constitutionality is at question?