[linux-elitists] (from Pigdog) Feuerstein on Oracle

Rusty Foster rusty@kuro5hin.org
Mon Oct 23 12:52:26 PDT 2000

Paul J Collins wrote:

>     Rusty> Paul J Collins wrote:
> -snip-
>
>     Rusty> This is a silly example. [...]
>
> I am simply demonstrating what 1NF *is*.

My bad. I thought that was supposed to be a comparison between how an
OODBMS would do it and how a normalized RDBMS would do it. Let me amend
that to: it's a silly but perfectly accurate and illuminating example.
;-)

>     Rusty> I agree with Mr. Bad that relational DB's are an archaic
>     Rusty> pain in the ass, but I haven't seen an OODB that I like
>     Rusty> better yet.
>
> The thing about relational database theory is that it is a firm
> mathematical foundation for a style of storing and manipulating
> information.  Contrast this with object-orienation, for which there
> isn't even a satisfactorily rigourous definition, never mind a
> foundation of any value.

Too true. Who knows if we're even all trying to talk about the same
thing when we say "OODBMS".

>     Rusty> Because I haven't checked it out recently (like in the last
>     Rusty> year or so), how does Postgres do it's object stuff? [...]
>
> It calls relations `classes' and you can `sub-class' them by adding
> attributes.  That's about all I know about that.

Does it store everything as relational tables though? If so, wouldn't it
likely be more efficient to just do your object-izing in code anyway?

--R
    Rusty Foster            "Salmon and gas station attendants haven't
  rusty@kuro5hin.org         been at war since 1972."
  rusty@opensales.org                     --The Brunching Shuttlecocks
http://www.kuro5hin.org