[linux-elitists] (from Pigdog) Feuerstein on Oracle

Paul J Collins sneakums@sto-kerrig.org
Mon Oct 23 12:47:28 PDT 2000

    Rusty> Paul J Collins wrote:
-snip-

    Rusty> This is a silly example. [...]

I am simply demonstrating what 1NF *is*.

    Rusty> I agree with Mr. Bad that relational DB's are an archaic
    Rusty> pain in the ass, but I haven't seen an OODB that I like
    Rusty> better yet.

The thing about relational database theory is that it is a firm
mathematical foundation for a style of storing and manipulating
information.  Contrast this with object-orienation, for which there
isn't even a satisfactorily rigourous definition, never mind a
foundation of any value.

    Rusty> Because I haven't checked it out recently (like in the last
    Rusty> year or so), how does Postgres do it's object stuff? [...]

It calls relations `classes' and you can `sub-class' them by adding
attributes.  That's about all I know about that.

--
Paul Collins - - - - http://www.sto-kerrig.org/ - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD