[linux-elitists] (from Pigdog) Feuerstein on Oracle

Paul J Collins sneakums@sto-kerrig.org
Mon Oct 23 10:50:47 PDT 2000

    JS> and they encourage data denormalization

    Bad> How's that, again? First, do the rules of data normalization
    Bad> make any sense in an OODBMS world? Second, why would the

Not as much as one would hope.

    Bad> concept of an OODBMS violate the fundamental precepts of
    Bad> normalizing data (keep everything belonging to a "thing"
    Bad> together)? Seems like nicely-designed, well-encapsulated
    Bad> objects are the best way to keep data "normalized."

First normal form (1NF) is "each fact is present only once in the
database".  This is a pain in the ass to do in an OODBMS without your
objects becoming uncannily relation-like.

Keeping everything belonging to a "thing" together is fine in an OO
program, but decentralising common facts is anathema to 1NF.

--
Paul Collins - - - - http://www.sto-kerrig.org/ - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD