[linux-elitists] (from Pigdog) Feuerstein on Oracle

Evan Prodromou evan@prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri Oct 20 12:54:42 PDT 2000

    DM> <shudder>Oracle</shudder>. I wonder what it would take to get
    DM> him to do

    EL> Please tell me, why is Oracle evil? I might have to use it in
    EL> my next job.

Among other things:

        * It's not Free.

        * It's a bear to set up and use.

        * It's practically a de facto standard for RDBMSs in big
          corps. Like, you can't get fired for choosing Oracle. Now,
          what fun is that? It's the NT of RDBMSs.

        * It's got this creepy PL/SQL programming language.

        * Because it's a defacto standard, you tend to run into real
          creepy freaks who use it. All those bastards who used to
          work on mainframes now write PL/SQL.

You know what else? RDBMSs are boring. They suck. I'm sick of them. I
can't believe we've had OOP languages in the mainstream for like 15
years, and we still don't have good standard OODBMSs. It's obscene.

~ESP