[linux-elitists] (from Pigdog) Feuerstein on Oracle

Heather star@starshine.org
Thu Oct 19 09:29:06 PDT 2000

> Thanks to Pigdog Journal for this one.
>
> Here's an Oracle book I'm going to buy even though I never plan to run
> Oracle. Finally a database book that doesn't use the same old dumbass
> "employee number" examples in the sample code.
> http://www.oreilly.com/news/feuerstein_1000.html
>
> Instead, Steven Feuerstein chooses examples such as "Excessive CEO
> compensation," "Union-busting activities," and "Police brutality."
> And you should see the outraged letters that mindless corporate
> drone database weenies send him. Fight the power! Still, it is
> <shudder>Oracle</shudder>. I wonder what it would take to get him to do
> a Postgres book.

So how many letters does he get from more ethical corporate types,
begging him not to encourage their fellows to these particular activities?

Actually, I think Oracle is an example of Big Business that clued in
about what we're up to.  It took awhile for them to move their large body
to it, but by being easy to get on Linux (whether they get into the
freedom battle or not) they get the "Four Year Rule" except that more than
the occassional Comp Sci student knows their product.

* Heather * Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it.
		-- Donald Knuth

As opposed to proprietary software, where you can try it, but nobody can prove it correct :)