[linux-elitists] (forw) About that MAPS lawsuit

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Sun Oct 15 22:31:44 PDT 2000

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Aaron Lehmann wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 01:09:11AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> > Gentlemen:
>
> Just wondering: is there any reason why you presume that these people
> are of the male gender?

Perhaps it's political correctness, but I don't think there was any
presumption.

> At least Deirdre will probably agree with me :).

Well, Gentlemen IS a traditionally correct polite way to address an
audience of unknown gender. "Dear Sirs" being the other common one.

I think it's a lot less unwieldy than "Dear Sir and/or Madam" but I must
confess my personal favorite is "Gentlebeing."

ObNote: women are significantly more likely than men to file for divorce.

"You had thesaurus flakes for breakfast again, didn't you?"
                                                 -- Eric Williams