[linux-elitists] (forw) About that MAPS lawsuit

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sun Oct 15 01:09:11 PDT 2000

----- Forwarded message from rick -----

Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 00:58:10 -0700
To: sales@blackice.com
Subject: About that MAPS lawsuit

Gentlemen:

Your company has just filed lawsuit against the Mail Abuse Prevention
System (MAPS) organization, for including some of your companies
Internet-machine addresses on its list of IP addresses that some system
administrators (sysadmins) elect to filter out.

I am a system administrator.  I know many other system administrators.
And there is a very important fact that you may not be aware of:

The MAPS people will remove your IPs from its list, pretty much
immediately, if/when you correct whatever earned you that status.
In that sense, MAPS are "forgiving" people.

Sysadmins don't forgive.  In suing the MAPS group, you have just put
yourselves on tens of thousands of sysadmins' shitlists for eternity.
They're all going to filter you into oblivion, easily, summarily, and
without remorse, exactly the way I'm about to.  And you're _never_ going
to come out.

Boy, did _you_ ever make a tactical mistake.

Sincerely,
Rick Moen

----- End forwarded message -----