[linux-elitists] Opera beta for linux available

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Fri Oct 6 16:17:06 PDT 2000

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Eugene Leitl wrote:

> That was a cheap shot (owch). And you forgot lots of silly
> parenthesis. And 8 MBytes continuously swapping (256 MBytes
> continuously swapping, in my case. When Netscape and XEmacs are
> fighting for the core sometimes even the GUI loses; my window dock has
> crashed a week ago. Now here's a feature of KDE I'm not missing one
> bit).

Interesting. I've never had that happen with my editor of choice (Nedit),
which is not exactly lightweight.

> Well, you don't say which IDE you're using. (Unless ::snort:: is
> something like SNiFF). Anyways, it's hard to argue about a reality
> branch that didn't happen. The stuff I see in my head is pretty nice,
> but I can't beam that imagery at you.

The reference IDE is the NeXT one, though I've only really used it in its
MacOS X Server incarnation. I've never seen *any* that was as cool, even
though I'm not much of a fan of Objective-C.

My second favorite IDE is CodeWarrior, whether on Linux, MacOS, or BeOS.

> You pegged me wrong, mine was a meta level comment. Instead of running
> like herdless sheep from one knoll of grass to the other, we should
> have flocked to the first decent knoll, and stayed there. There is
> synergy in numbers. Larger communities are overproportionally
> productive, the more so the longer they persist. Which particular
> language to use doesn't matter, as long as it's safe and powerful.

OK. I just hear a lot of bitching and moaning from Lisp fans around the
python community and I'm tired of it. I didn't mean so much to take it out
on you personally.

However, I disagree. As a writer, dialogue is not my only tool. As a
woodworker, I don't just use a table saw. Each tool has a set of best
uses, a set of good uses and a set of inappropriate uses. I see computer
languages a lot like that. I will never use just one. Heck, I've used four
today.

> The question is not whether the stuff is more fun or elegant, it's
> whether it allows you to write stable industry-strength code. Lisp was
> the first decent language to come along, so the community should have
> stayed there. I wish *nix/C didn't happen. Forth at the low end
> (dirty, mean and lean, no bloat), Lisp at the high end (safe and
> elegant, but a bit on the fat side), this would have been cool.

Well, Forth code can be well-written and high-end. But, as a friend said,
"the problem with most Forth programmers is that they think of the reset
switch as a programming tool." I wrote a LOT of Forth in my day. I learned
LISP and Forth at the same time (along with Smalltalk). Of the three,
Forth is the one I liked best and used most. I have worked on
commercial-scale Forth projects; one was a hypertext medical system before
hypertext became so common.

But I'd say that C is a *fuck* of a lot better language for almost
everything than Lisp. Try debugging a large Lisp project. When you've done
one on the scale of the average commercial software project, then I think
you'll have earned the right to tell programmers what tools they maybe
should or shouldn't use. We still won't listen, mind you.

> Emacs is broken since it doesn't do threading. Nor incremental
> nonintrusive gc. No patches will do, it needs badly to be rewritten
> from scratch, because it sucks so badly.

If it were written in C, it wouldn't need to be rewritten from scratch.
That's the point you don't get.

> And I'm not a coder, so I'm forced to stick to a large enough
> community (damn these brownian sheep). Python/C seems to offer the
> righ mix of nice features, productivity (especially for a noncoder),
> performance and support. Perl/C has too many warts, albeit a larger
> community.

I prefer PHP for doing web stuff, but for everything else I pretty much
use Python.

> I wish programmers had less maestro/diva streaks, and wouldn't keep on
> fragmenting into balkanized communities, producing little isolated
> noninteroperable code sniglets, and most of them of lousy quality
> while bleating out that their spot is sweeeetest.

Maybe you really need to learn what it's like to be a programmer. I've
done it for a living for a quarter century now. The primary languages I've
used, in order: Basic, Pascal, Forth, C, C++, Python, PHP.

Why the evolution? Because, among other things, the toolsets changed.

>  > I'd be hard-pressed to name a language I like less than Lisp.
>  > I think I even prefer Visual Basic, and that's saying something.
>
> I honestly don't understand that. Is it the verbosity or parenthesis
> which irk you, or something deeper? Snootiness? Stench of the rotting
> AI carcass?

It's the AI aspect, in part.

I don't like the verbosity, obscurity or parentheses either, but I can
forgive any one of those.

I just don't care for functional languages. Of the classes I took in CS,
AI was my second-least favorite (the lower layers of the OSI model were
the only thing that won out but there was pretty stiff competition).

"More damage has been caused by innocent program crashes than by
malicious viruses, but they don't make great stories."
                   --  Jean-Louis Gassee, Be Newsletter, Issue 69