[linux-elitists] Opera beta for linux available

Paul J Collins sneakums@eircom.net
Fri Oct 6 14:04:27 PDT 2000

    Dan> On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 09:11:00PM +0100, Paul J Collins wrote:
    >> While the compiler could warn about incorrect calls from
    >> constructors, it couldn't guard against passing the this
    >> pointer to a function outside the current translation unit that
    >> calls such a virtual function.

    Dan> Eiffel ducks that one by

    Dan> -- not permitting such pointer passing.  The language is
    Dan> supposed to be complete enough, you don't need to do such
    Dan> scary things.

I wasn't trying to suggest one would ever do something like that; I
was just pointing out the no C++ compiler can check everything.

In Eiffel, CURRENT is equivalent to C++'s this, and CURRENT most
certainly can be passed around.

    Dan> -- current translation unit (at the Eiffel level) is always
    Dan> the entire program.

That statement implies to me that Eiffel parses the entire source of
the program at once, given what ``translation unit'' means.  Surely
this is not the case?

--
Paul Collins <sneakums@eircom.net> - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD