[linux-elitists] Opera beta for linux available

Dan Wilder dan@ssc.com
Fri Oct 6 13:42:30 PDT 2000

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 12:57:57PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> begin  Dan Wilder quotation:
>
> > Too bad Eiffel's going noplace fast.  Or maybe it'll get a second
> > wind, now that Bertrand Meyer and his company, Interactive Software
> > Engineering, has signed on, lock stock and barrel, to Microsoft's
> > .NET initiative.
>
> Aha.  This explains a great deal, and makes me all the more delighted
> that I eviscerated the argument he made in "The Ethics of Free Software"
> (http://www.sdmagazine.com/articles/2000/0003/0003d/0003d.htm), -- in a
> Software Development Magazine feedback forum that they now appear to
> have deleted and replaced with an even worse one, stripping all the
> existing reader feedback.
>
> Meyer participated in the Slashdot discussion at the time, and ignored
> all the more salient criticisms, responding only to the trivial ones.

Dunno where Meyer got the bee in his bonnet about free software.

Maybe he feels GNU SmallEiffel is ripping him off.  Tho he
put the specs for Eiffel in the public domain, some years back.

Dominique Colnet, primary author of SmallEiffel, went to Santa
Barbara to meet with Meyer at one point, a couple of years ago.
Hopeful of some coordination, meeting of the minds, whatever.

When Colnet came back from the meeting, he wouldn't tell anybody
I know of, anything about what had transpired.

 Dan Wilder <dan@ssc.com>
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549             Phone:  206-782-7733 x123
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549              URL     http://www.ssc.com/