[linux-elitists] Opera beta for linux available

Dan Wilder dan@ssc.com
Fri Oct 6 12:43:05 PDT 2000

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 08:15:51PM +0100, Paul J Collins wrote:

>     Deirdre> Console says: pure virtual method called
>
> Oh dear.  Check your constructors, Opera c0derz.

Darn C++.  They oughta be using Eiffel.

The nearest Eiffel equivalent of C++'s "pure virtual" is
"deferred", and the Eiffel compiler's gonna smack you upside the
head if you try to instantiate a class with deferred features.

Yet another example of the mindless error-prone clerical drudgery
forced on the coder by some languages, and handled by the compiler
in others.

Too bad Eiffel's going noplace fast.  Or maybe it'll get a second
wind, now that Bertrand Meyer and his company, Interactive Software
Engineering, has signed on, lock stock and barrel, to Microsoft's
.NET initiative.

I presume the Redmondians are paying him handsomely, and I also
presume they believe they'll gain a secret weapon for their side
by enlisting Dr. Meyer and his language.

They might be right.  They've been right, from time to time, before.

http://www.eiffel.com/training/dotnet/

(he ducks)

 Dan Wilder <dan@ssc.com>
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549             Phone:  206-782-7733 x123
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549              URL     http://www.ssc.com/