[linux-elitists] Opera beta for linux available

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Fri Oct 6 11:45:15 PDT 2000

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000 eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de wrote:

> October 5, 2000 - Opera Software today released a Beta version of
> Opera 4.0 for Linux, bringing the best browser alternative for Linux
> one step closer to a final release. Bringing the browser from
> Technical Preview to Beta, means that the Internet community now have
> the opportunity to interact and assist Opera in providing Linux users
> with the best possible Internet experience.

Well, it's nowhere near as stable as Opera on BeOS. Which is somewhat less
stable than Netscape on Linux. As I'm using Qt 1.x for my desktop, I
downloaded the statically linked version.

Experiment: go to http://www.ebay.com

Blam!

Console says: pure virtual method called

Oops.

Still, when they get there, Opera will be very nice.

"More damage has been caused by innocent program crashes than by
malicious viruses, but they don't make great stories."
                   --  Jean-Louis Gassee, Be Newsletter, Issue 69