[linux-elitists] English usage

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Thu Oct 5 15:54:12 PDT 2000

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Don Marti wrote:

> Welcome to yet another in a series of messages about modern English
> usage.
>
> It's been cheesing me off lately that people refer to SDMI watermarking
> as "protection" or "security." And I think I may have an alternate term
> to use.
>
> Some files that are interpreted by a parser built into an application
> and do something the user doesn't want have been misclassified as
> "viruses." And it looks like that classification will stick. Well, on
> another list I expressed my opinion that future SDMI-cracking software
> would be "as easy to use as a virus checker."
>
> You see where this is going, don't you?
>
> I was eating a super burrito a few minutes ago when the answer hit me.
> We just say "SDMI-infected" to refer to watermarked files.
>
> And if anybody says "SDMI isn't a true virus" we just say "Well,
> technically, the Melissa and ILOVEYOU viruses weren't true viruses
> either."  Besided, we don't have to say "virus," just "infected."
>
> Nobody wants "infected" stuff on their computer. Ewwwww.
>
> --
> Don Marti                                This email brought to you

Any file/code that someone else runs on your machine without your explicit
permission is actionable under UCITA.

"SDMI-infected actionable stealth virus trojan computer misusing rogue
code of The Conspiracy" is the short form of the full True Name of this
tentacle.

"theft of services", "conversion" are already actionable everywhere in the
United States of America.  With UCITA we'll just have more legal teeth
with which to defend our Home Computers.  UCITA also has sections dealing
with Motherhood and Apple Pie.

oo--JS.