[linux-elitists] English usage

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Thu Oct 5 15:27:31 PDT 2000

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Don Marti wrote:

> Welcome to yet another in a series of messages about modern English
> usage.
>
> It's been cheesing me off lately that people refer to SDMI watermarking
> as "protection" or "security." And I think I may have an alternate term
> to use.
>
> Some files that are interpreted by a parser built into an application
> and do something the user doesn't want have been misclassified as
> "viruses." And it looks like that classification will stick. Well, on
> another list I expressed my opinion that future SDMI-cracking software
> would be "as easy to use as a virus checker."
>
> You see where this is going, don't you?
>
> I was eating a super burrito a few minutes ago when the answer hit me.
> We just say "SDMI-infected" to refer to watermarked files.
>
> And if anybody says "SDMI isn't a true virus" we just say "Well,
> technically, the Melissa and ILOVEYOU viruses weren't true viruses
> either."  Besided, we don't have to say "virus," just "infected."
>
> Nobody wants "infected" stuff on their computer. Ewwwww.
>
> --
> Don Marti                                This email brought to you

The UCITA sharp side cuts both ways.

I am given a CueCat.  I accept it, and send a letter, registered, of
course, to the head of CueCat, and a second copy to their legal
department.

The letter starts:

Thank you for using the Sulzberger StorageComputingCommunications System
housed at JaySulzberger.xxx.xxx.xxx .  Our tariff is appended.  The
standard rate for transmission of data to offsite addresses is ten cents a
byte.  Bills are rendered 30 days due.

We look forward to a long and profitable relationship!

If you have any questions, please email me at:

jays@SSCCS.com

Thank you!

As ever, I remain the sole proprieter of Sulzberger etc.

Jay Sulzberger

cc: standard list of lawyers

oo--JS.