[linux-elitists] English usage

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Oct 5 15:08:54 PDT 2000

Welcome to yet another in a series of messages about modern English
usage.

It's been cheesing me off lately that people refer to SDMI watermarking
as "protection" or "security." And I think I may have an alternate term
to use.

Some files that are interpreted by a parser built into an application
and do something the user doesn't want have been misclassified as
"viruses." And it looks like that classification will stick. Well, on
another list I expressed my opinion that future SDMI-cracking software
would be "as easy to use as a virus checker."

You see where this is going, don't you?

I was eating a super burrito a few minutes ago when the answer hit me.
We just say "SDMI-infected" to refer to watermarked files.

And if anybody says "SDMI isn't a true virus" we just say "Well,
technically, the Melissa and ILOVEYOU viruses weren't true viruses
either."  Besided, we don't have to say "virus," just "infected."

Nobody wants "infected" stuff on their computer. Ewwwww.

--
Don Marti                                This email brought to you
dmarti@zgp.org                           by the number 67 and the