[linux-elitists] Fwd: PATNEWS: Copyrights: Lessig versus Valenti; rapper Chuck D & Napster]

Heather star@starshine.org
Thu Oct 5 09:32:19 PDT 2000

> Attached is today's issue of Greg Aharonian's PATNEWS email newsletter.
> It includes a transcript of the Lessig-Valenti debate at Harvard last
> weekend.

Now I just *know* I'm preaching to the choir here, but...

wanting to outlaw a thing or technology because it "has SUCH potential for
abuse" is rather like outlawing cars because an occasional person has run
somebody over.

(napster, guns, crowbars, screwdrivers and routers next?)

Not that they would give a toot, until they actually damaged a large
corporate entity.  Now wait - someone managed to *blow up* a huge flipping
building, full of both businesses and government offices, a daycare center
even,  and it was a big hullaballoo, a nationwide tragedy... but we still
have cars.

The fact is, that there are already laws against the piracy itself; they
should simply find ACTUAL pirates and hang them high; leave exchange sites
and common carriers out of it.

I have been ranting about how the nature of copyright/patent/trademark is
broken for so long now, I have a default rant for the topic.  The second
debate touches some of the same points strongly.  Sigh.

* Heather * Might as well be frank, monsieur.  It would take a miracle to
            get you out of Casablanca and the Germans have outlawed miracles.
		-- Casablanca