[linux-elitists] Galeon is getting good

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Wed Oct 4 20:34:15 PDT 2000

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Jonathan Corbet wrote:

> However, I think you misunderstand the needs of some of your potential
> users.  I have my font size set the way I like it; it works just fine
> until some web page author starts dinking around with the <font> tag.
> If I set my font size to legibly render those peoples' output, I end
> up reading just about everything else in the Large Print Edition.

Me too. Part of the problem is that Netscape on Linux renders fonts at
about 2/3 their size on other platforms. For those of us with bad
eyesight, it's a real drag. (And no, glasses *don't* help -- I'm legally
blind in one eye even WITH glasses)

When I was working on Nissan's web site, I used to call the designers over
all the time and complain at them. :) It looked fine on Windows,
naturally. Grr. Or MacOS. Grr.

> For me, the ability to quickly, temporarily zoom a page is a great
> thing, and not bloat.

What I'd like is a *MINIMUM* font size for a page. If I set it to, say, 10
points, it won't render anything smaller no matter what the designer said.
A maximum size might also be useful, but not for eyesight reasons. :)

"More damage has been caused by innocent program crashes than by
malicious viruses, but they don't make great stories."
                   --  Jean-Louis Gassee, Be Newsletter, Issue 69