[linux-elitists] Galeon is getting good

Wed Oct 4 17:56:27 PDT 2000

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 04:49:11PM -0600, Jonathan Corbet (corbet-elite@lwn.net) wrote:
> I recall there was talk here recently about dealing with web pages that
> employ microscopic fonts.  Such pages have always been a pet peeve of mine
> (getting old, you see), so I just had to exclaim with joy when Galeon 0.7.6
> popped up with a "zoom" blank on the button bar.  My days of squinting at
> web pages are done.  Why couldn't it have always been this way?
>
> Galeon has reached that critical mass point.  The functionality works, and
> people can start scratching itches in a big way.  I'm most pleased.  I've
> not removed netscape off my system quite yet, but that day is approaching.

Thanks.  I just ditched Mozilla from my dock.

Questions on Galeon:

  - What resources are available?  Is there an X resources list?

  - How do you disable animated gifs?
    Hmmm...Running Vasile's 'gat' on /usr/lib/mozilla/components/libnsgif.so
    seems to do the trick.  (Binary edit of NETSCAPE2.0 with 'no anim gif').

  - Bugs.  It does crash (several times at Google).  Popups tend to
    occur when editing a text box.  But it's fast and light.