[linux-elitists] Testify at NTIA hearings about DMCA!

Sun Nov 26 17:47:52 PST 2000

on Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 04:56:39PM -0800, Mr . Bad (mr.bad@pigdog.org) wrote:

>     k>     A ''computer program'' is a set of statements or
>     k> instructions to be used directly or indirectly in a computer in
>     k> order to bring about a certain result.
>
>     k> DVD-as-data would tend not to map to such instructions.  Ergo:
>     k> it's data.
>
> I'd say not true. The term "directly or indirectly" obviously is a nod
> to interpreted languages. They are not "directly" run by the CPU, but
> that does not make them any less "programs."

The instructions in an interpreted program are eventually translated to
commands run by the processor.  There will be a correspondence, however
indirect.  Data, however, resides only in memory, it isn't acted on
directly.

Again, this distinction can be a fine one, but I think there is in
general a pretty clear line between what is acting and what is being
acted on.