[linux-elitists] Testify at NTIA hearings about DMCA!

Paul J Collins sneakums@sto-kerrig.org
Thu Nov 23 10:40:48 PST 2000

    >> Section 117 of the Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. 117, permits the
    >> owner of a copy of a computer program to make a copy or
    >> adaptation of the program for archival purposes or as an
    >> essential step in the utilization of the program in conjunction
    >> with a machine.

    Jonathan> Interesting bit of silliness that just popped into my
    Jonathan> mind: who's to say that a film on DVD isn't a program?

Me, for a start.  They're not.

    Jonathan> They have execution sequences, decisions, and a unique
    Jonathan> graphical interface.  The programming language is
    Jonathan> strange, but DVDs are certainly programs.

All of these are external to the encoded data of the movie's images
and sounds.  A DVD as a whole is a composite of some programming and a
hell of a lot of non-program data.

--
Paul Collins <sneakums@sto-kerrig.org> - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD