[linux-elitists] Testify at NTIA hearings about DMCA!

Jonathan Corbet corbet-elite@lwn.net
Tue Nov 21 07:24:09 PST 2000

> Section 117 of the Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. 117, permits the owner of a copy
> of a computer program to make a copy or adaptation of the program for
> archival purposes or as an essential step in the utilization of the program
> in conjunction with a machine.

Interesting bit of silliness that just popped into my mind: who's to say
that a film on DVD isn't a program?  They have execution sequences,
decisions, and a unique graphical interface.  The programming language is
strange, but DVDs are certainly programs.

So I'm entitled to make a (working) backup copy... and DeCSS is certainly
an essential step in making it work with *my* machine...

jon

Jonathan Corbet
Executive editor, LWN.net
corbet@lwn.net