[linux-elitists] elite imapd?

Heather star@starshine.org
Sat Nov 11 10:02:16 PST 2000

> > I hear good things about Cyrus imapd.
>
> Cyrus is pretty k-rad, but it's a real imap server not an imapd hack like
> many of the other ones out there. Meaning that it doesn't play very nicely
> with pop3, although they do include their own pop2imap gateway
> daemon. Cyrus also doesn't use standard mail box files. It has a layout
> very similar to innd. You can do things like shared mailboxes, locally
> cached newsgroups, etc... but not standard mailbox files. If I recall, the
> hierarchy would go something like:
>
> private/users/dmarti/
>
> 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. ... 456.
>
> with index files and the like.

So what you're saying is an MH user wouldn't bat an eye, but anybody still
using these mbox-format toys of yesteryear (== most of us?) is just gonna
have to learn a new pattern if we want to know where our data flows.

(except, an MH user at least gets to name his folders, it's the messages
that are numbered.)

right?

* Heather * UNIX was half a billion (500000000) seconds old on
            Tue Nov  5 00:53:20 1985 GMT (measuring since the time(2) epoch).
		-- Andy Tannenbaum

	We should have a party for the next mark, 1 billion seconds old on:
	18:46:40 September 8 2001
		-- Heather Stern